On 4 September, the people of Chile will decide: default to Pinochet´s constitution, or found a new Chile with a constitution that guarantees the rights to health, housing, education, and a habitable planet. Join the numerous activists who write to congratulate Chile´s Constitutional Convention on the completion of a new Political Constitution.
Reactionary forces around the world are leading a campaign to smear the new constitution as “woke”, radical, and divisive.
But various of renowned activists, politicians, and academics are fighting back, bringing together trade unions, political parties, feminist organisations, and Indigenous representatives to defend Chile´s right to refoundation.
The list of signatories includes:
- Heinz Bierbaum, President of the Party of the European Left, European Left/LINKE, Germany;
- Judith Butler, Professor of Philosophy and Gender Studies, University of California, Berkeley, USA;
- Jean-Luc Mélenchon, former presidential candidate; former member of the National Assembly, France;
- Antonio Negri, Philosopher, France;
- Rashida Tlaib, Member of the United States House of Representatives, USA,
and many more.
To join the campaign launched by Act Progressive International and Medico International and to support the approval of the New Constitution on the completion of a new Political Constitution that will set the country on a strong foundation of egalitarian democracy and inspire people around the world with your signature, click here.
Watch the video commentary on the constitutional proposal with Jorge Saavedra (Associate Professor at the Faculty of Communication and Literature, University of Diego Portales, Chile):