- The transform! yearbook, the annual journal of transform! europe is out! We would like to invite you to the official presentation in Athens on 22-23 September! At the two-day conference, exciting insights into this year’s issue “Facing the State. Left Analyses and Perspectives” will be presented.
Throughout the years, the left has confronted the state in various forms and has developed theoretical and political tools for analysis, and understanding that have produced different political approaches.
However, it seems that new circumstances require new ideas and tools. Facing the state in the present day entails asking new questions about its form, role, and positioning of the 21st-century left in relation to it, both in terms of theory and strategy, and praxis.
We cordially invite you to this 2-day conference!
The languages of the conference will be English and Greek with simultaneous interpretation to/from both languages.
To register for the event, please click here!
The PDF version can also be downloaded on the right/below (mobile version) in ‘Documents’.
Friday, 22 September
13:45-15:45 (local time): Social and environmental challenges of the State
- Giulia Russo, PhD Candidate in Political Science and Sociology at Scuola Normale Superiore
- Franz Segbers, Emeritus Professor for Social Ethics, University of Marburg
- Hans Thie, Author, previously advisor on economic and energy policy for the Left Party in Germany’s national assembly
- Hilary Wainwright, Co-Editor of the Red Pepper magazine
Moderator: Conny Hildebrandt, Co-President of transform! europe
15:45-16:00 Coffee Break
16:00-18:00: The State and Forms of Authoritarianism
- Steven Forti, Historian, Autonomous University of Barcelona
- Katerina Papanikolaou, PhD in Public Law, member of the Hellenic Authority for Communication Security and Privacy
- Gavin Rae, Associate Professor of sociology at Koźmiński University, Warsaw
- Sophia Vidali, Professor of Criminology and Crime Policy, Department of Social Anthropology, Panteion University of Social and Political Science
Moderator: Danai Koltsida, Director of the Nicos Poulantzas Institute, Co-Vice President of transform! europe
18:00-18:15: Coffee Break
18:15-20:45: From Marxist to post-Marxist theories of the state and beyond
- Athena Athanasiou, Professor of Social Anthropology-Dean, School of Social Sciences, Panteion University of Social and Political Sciences
- Étienne Balibar, Visiting Professor, Kingston University, London, UK
- Yohann Douet, PhD and researcher attached at Sophiapol Lab (Paris Nanterre)
- Dunja Larise, Coordinator of the ‘Austro-Marxism’ project supported by transform! europe, Rosa Luxemburg Stiftung, and the City of Vienna
- Göran Therborn, Professor Emeritus of Sociology, University of Cambridge, Affiliated professor, Linnaeus University, Sweden
Moderator: Michalis Spourdalakis, Professor Emeritus, Department of Sociology, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens
Saturday, 23 September
12:00-14:00: Feminist Perspectives of the State
- Karina Batthyány, Executive Secretary at CLACSO (Latin American Council of Social Sciences), Full Professor and researcher at the Faculty of Social Sciences, University of the Republic of Uruguay
- Ankica Čakardić, Associate Professor, Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Zagreb, member of The Complete Works of Rosa Luxemburg Editorial Board (Verso, London/New York)
- Angeliki Drongiti, Post-Doc Researcher at the Department of Sociology, University of Crete
Moderator: Aliki Kossyfologou, PhD in Political Science, researcher
14:00-15:15: Lunch Break
15:15-17:15: The Left in Government and the State
- Marga Ferré, Co-President of transform! europe
- Cristina Lustemberg, Deputy for Montevideo, Uruguayan parliament (2020-2025)
- Hanna Sarkkinen, Member of the Parliament of Finland, Former Minister of Social Affairs and Health (2021-June 2023)
- Euclid Tsakalotos, Professor of Economics, National and Kapodistrian University, Deputy of Syriza, Former Minister of Finance (2015-2019)
Moderator: Haris Golemis, Chief Editor of the transform! europe yearbook
17:15-17:30: Coffee Break
17:30-19:30: National States and the Breakdown of International Order
- Volodymyr Ishchenko, Research Associate at the Institute of East European Studies, Freie Universität Berlin
- Maria Eleni Koppa, Professor of Comparative Politics, Panteion University of Social and Political Sciences
- Antonis Tzanakopoulos, Professor of Public International Law, University of Oxford
- Susan Watkins, Editor of New Left Review
Moderator: Walter Baier, President of the European Left