In The Left’s Trade Union conference in cooperation with TUNE (Trade Union’s Network) trade unionists from across Europe will report about workers’ actions and general strikes in France, Romania, UK and Belgium.
Difficult times for trade unions and workers: rising energy prices, rising inflation and exploding cost of living.
People do not know how to pay their daily bills, but the workers are fighting back – for better wages and a life in dignity for all!
In The Left’s Trade Union conference in cooperation with TUNE (Trade Union’s Network) Thorsten Schulten (Data analyst at WSI) will analyse the economic background for the rising costs of living, and Ester Lynch, Gen. Sec. of the ETUC will present the demands of the Trade Unions.
Trade unionists from across Europe will report about workers’ actions and general strikes in France, Romania, UK and Belgium.
The conference will finish with 10 strong demands of workers and trade unions to national and European politicians.
Interpretation provided in DE, EN, FR, DA, EL, ES, PT
Watch the recordings of the conference here.
Wednesday, 8 March 2023
15:00-15:15 (CET): Welcome
- Martin Schirdewan, Co-president of the Left
- Heinz Bierbaum, TUNE
Guest speaker – 8 March: International Women’s Day:
- Livia Spera, General Secretary of ETF (European Transport Workers´ Federation)
15:20-16:45 (CET): Crises: cost of living, rising energy prices, inflation
- Thorsten Schulten, Data-analyst at WSI – economic background and the development of the cost of living
- Esther Lynch, General Secretary of ETUC (European Trade Union Confederation) outlining actions and proposals to confront the crisis
- Aline Hoffmann, ETUI
17:00-18:30 (CET): What is in the EU pipeline?
- Leila Chaibi, MEP – Directive on Platform Work
- Maria Eugenia Rodriguez Palop, MEP (video) – Directive on Pay Transparency
- Nikolaj Villumsen, MEP – Directive on Asbestos
- Kostas Arvanitis, MEP – Migration Package: Long-Term-Residence-Directive + Single-Permit Directive
- Jose Gusmao, MEP – Initiative-report on a Framework for Quality Traineeship
- Martin Krämer, TUNE
Thursday, 9 March 2023
9:00-11:15 (CET): Ongoing workers’ actions and general strikes
- Trade Unionists from France, UK, Romania, Belgium and some other Member States will report on ongoing workers struggles for better wages and/ or other working conditions
- Yota Lazaropoulou, TUNE
11.30-12.15 (CET): Workers’ struggles: a future to win and common requests
- Walter Baier, President of the Party of the European Left
11:35-12:15 (CET): “10 demands for the future of workers” – to the national and European politicians
- Özlem Demirel, MEP
- Nikolaj Villumsen, MEP
- Enrique Carmona, TUNE
- Peter Damo, TUNE
12:15-12:30 (CET): Closing remarks
- Heinz Bierbaum, TUNE